Volunteer Background Check
Child Abuse Registry form for TPSD Volunteers Authorization for Criminal Background Checks - Volunteers for TPSD
Volunteer Background School Board Policy
Volunteers will now submit to one initial criminal background check. This new regulation will be retroactive to include individuals who have already completed the initial background check for the 2010-2011 school year.
However, the district does reserve the right to require any person to submit to additional criminal background checks or to rerun background checks at any time based on reasonable suspicion of an individual's status.
Volunteer applicants will now go to the Fillmore Center from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays to submit the required materials and to pay the $35 fee for the criminal background check. The Fillmore Center is located at 903 Fillmore Drive, Tupelo, MS 38801.
The district may decline to utilize the services of volunteers who refuse to participate.
The background check procedure for volunteers is as follows:
1. Volunteer completes Form GBAC-EXHIBIT Authorization for Criminal Background Check (found on school website or hard copy at any school office).
2. Volunteer presents social security card and driver's license or state issued ID to designated TPSD employee in the Activities/Athletics Department located at the Fillmore Center. The employee will make copies of the cards for the application. (Fillmore Center is located at 903 Fillmore Drive, Tupelo, MS 38801.)
3. Background check hours are 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. on Tuesdays and Thursdays at the Fillmore Center and by appointment for those who cannot come during regular hours.
4. The volunteer pays the fees to the designated TPSD employee for FBI background check and registry for child abuse check (employee will receipt and deposit funds according to TPSD guidelines). A database will be kept with the names of volunteers who have applied.
5. The TPSD Employee will complete fingerprinting of volunteer, and then the employee will send the packet to Human Resources (HR) for mailing.
6. HR will mail the packet to the MDE approved vender. (Usually takes 4-6 weeks for processing.)
7. HR sends the results to superintendent's designee who then notifies volunteer and schools of eligibility status of volunteer. The volunteer database will be updated as reports come back to the District and will reflect eligibility status.